Thursday, June 23, 2011

A Morgan Relief for Morgan Relief!

I am working on a large medallion right now (on the humid days when I cannot paint) to use to help raise funds for Forever Morgans. This group started a couple of years ago and I have been supporting their efforts when ever possible since I found it shortly after it began. Someday in the not so distant future I am hoping to be able to have a real Morgan (either an at risk horse nearby or one from them). If you know of anyone looking for a Morgan (or Morgan type) horse right now they are having a summer special with reduced adoption fees to help make room for incoming horses. These are all beautiful horses with good hearts. Some are registered, some are grade. They all deserve loving homes though!

The sculpt is BIG measuring approx 5" x 7" but should be a lot of fun to paint and glaze. Eventually I hope to release it in both resin and ceramic, so I am sculpting it for ceramic to make it easier later. That means that I cannot have any undercuts that would catch on the mold, as plaster is not forgiving like rubber is. I am not normally one for sculpting a lot of background stuff but for what ever reason I decided that this one needed it. I have also been given a bunch of beautiful roses from the neighbor and they have been very inspiring.

John grows every type of glorious rose just to be able to give them to friends and neighbors.

I am always looking for something to challenge me, as that is how you grow. So here we go, sculpting roses out of clay with no undercuts! I want to make sure there are plenty pf places for glaze to puddle and create even more depth as well. So much fun that I have not been able to pull myself away from it since I started it yesterday.

Here it is after another hour of work this morning.


And after 2 more hours! It goes so fast when you are inspired!

No comments: